Dr. Zahida Baqai’s father migrated to Calcutta from Rudawli, Barabanki in the United Provinces, India, in the wake of the 1857 freedom-movement against British Raj. They again migrated to Dhaka after independence in 1947.
Her father, Salimullah Fahmi was a BCS (Bengal Civil Service) Officer and held important posts in the former East Pakistan as well as in the federal Government set up. Salimullah Fahmi was a man of many interests: Administrator, Social worker, Intellect, Tranquil, proficient in Urdu, Bengali and English, broadcaster and a poet of standing. Fahmi Health Education Centre bears his name.
Mrs. Zahida Baqai secured her MBBS degree from Dhaka Medical College and completed her house job in Jinnah Post-Graduate Medical Centre, Karachi. She then proceeded to England and obtained her MRCOG. After return from U.K. she got married to Dr. F.U. Baqai. For sometime she also served in the Pakistan Navy as gynaecologist (CMP). Later in recognition of her meritorious accomplishments in the medical field, she earned the prestigious honour of being elected FRCOG.
She is the pioneer in the field of IVF in Pakistan & she established Baqai Institute of Reproductive & Developmental Sciences. Dr. Zahida Baqai, besides developing her own talent and skill, inherited quite a few qualities of her father, which helped her in managing the affairs of the various projects with efficiency. Academic Qualifications:
MBBS - 1958 (Dacca Medical College, East Pakistan)
DRCOG - 1964 (Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, London)
MRCOG - 1966 (Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, London)
FICS - 1968 (International College of Surgeons, USA)
FRCOG - 1981 (Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, London)1. Designation:
Pro Vice Chancellor
Director Students Affairs
Chairperson Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Chairperson Hospital Management Committee
Dean Baqai Postgraduate Medical Institute
2. Domicile :
Karachi – Sindh TITLE OF AWARD: Year
1. Presidential Award by President Farooq Ahmed Khan
Laghari for Establishing First Private Medical University
in Pakistan 1996
2. Awarded Gold Medal for Community Work by
Royal Academic Society at Lahore 2000
3. Field of Specialization:
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Invitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Social Obstetrics
(a) She started her research programs in the 1960s and published a number of research papers in national and international Journals. She is one of the senior most Supervisors for the CPSP training programs for FCPS and MCPS. A number of doctors have completed their research work and wrote dissertations under her supervision.
Organization Year(b) Administrative Experience:
Baqai Medical College 1988-1996
Baqai Medical University 1996 – to date
(Pro Vice Chancellor)
(Chairperson Hospital Management Committee)
(Chairperson, Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
(Director, Social Obstetrics Unit-I)
6. Research publications in field of specialization
1. Conquest of Diabetes, Pakistan Medical Journal, 1966.
2. Management of Prolapsed Umbilical Cord, Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of Pakistan, 1967
3. Incidence of Pelvic Tuberculosis, Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of Pakistan, 1967
4. Ten Years Statistical Study of Obstetrical & Gynaecological Cases at a Private Hospital, Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of Pakistan, 1979
5. Statistics of 21 Years Perinatal Mortality in (Private) Baqai Hospital, Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1991.
6. Incidence of Ectopic Pregnancy 20 years at Baqai Hospital, 1991. INTERNATIONAL
Obstetrical Services in Private Sector, Gynaecologist, January 1991
Hand Book For Junior House Officers, Obstetrics & Gynaecology
“Social Obstetrics” New Vision for Millennium, Obstetric Precautions for
lowering Maternal Mortality.
Dates for Poor Patient Nutrition.
Prof. Dr. Zahida Baqai is the pioneer in the field of IVF (INVITRO FERTILIZATION) in Pakistan. She established Baqai Institute of Reproductive & Developmental Sciences (B.I.R.D.S.). This is a specialized technology for the treatment of infertility. About 13% of married couples do not have babies normally and they need very specialized technique for the treatment. In laymen language it is known as (Test Tube Baby Centre). This institute is at number SIX (6) in the world as for as its success in the field is concerned.
Social Obstetrics is a new concept of lowering the Maternal Mortality in developing countries. She is not only the pioneer in the IVF technology in Pakistan she also extensively contributed in the filed of education and poverty alleviation through Social Obstetrics Unit-I. Professional Recognition:
· Fellowship/membership of international bodies
1) Fellow International College of Surgeons, USA
2) Fellow Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, London
3) Member Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, London
4) Member, Diabetic Association of Bangladesh
· Fellowship/membership of local bodies
1) Member, Society of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of Pakistan
2) Member, Society of Surgeons, Pakistan
3) Member, Private Hospital Association, Karachi
4) Founder Member, IVF Pakistan
5) President, IVF Society, Karachi Participation in conferences, seminars and workshops. INTERNATIONAL:
1) Chairperson Gynaecology & Obstetrics Session in 6th Asia Pacific Congress of International College of Surgeons, 6th - 9th December 1985 held in Karachi. Read paper on Ruptured Uterus 15 years statistics.
2) Delegate to V World Congress on Fertility and Infertility October 1986, Singapore.
3) Attend VI World Congress in November 1991. Read Paper on 20 years Statistics of Ectopic Pregnancy.
4) Delegate to Community Oriented Medical Education Conference held at Suez Canal University, Somalia, Egypt, November 1985, organized by WHO.
5) Delegate to University of Al Madni, November 1985, read paper on Management of Ruptured Uterus.
6) Net Work Symposium on Problems Based Education held at Maastricht, April 1986, WHO Network.
7) First Joint Meeting of British Medical Association and Pakistan Medical Association held in Pakistan
8 ) First Joint Congress of College of Physicians of Edinburgh and College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan, 22nd – 24th September, 1990, Karachi, Pakistan.
9) Delegate to China for Aqua puncture Training in November 1976.
10) Delegate to International Conference on Population Planning 1976, Dacca.
11) Seminar of Association of Retarded Children, December 1985, Dacca.
12) World Congress of Diabetes, 14th – 18th December 1990, Karachi.
13) World Congress of IVF 1986, Singpore.
14) World Congress of IVF, 2000, Washington D.C.
15) World Congress of IVF, 2004, Turkey
16) First National Congress on Endometriosis. 2008. Tehran, Iran. LOCAL:
1) Co-Chairman, Biennial Conference Society of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, Pakistan 1963, read paper on Conjoint Twins.
2) Chairperson, Souvenir Committee, Biennial Conference Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Pakistan, 1985.
3) Chairperson Public Relationing Committee, Biennial Conference Society of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of Pakistan, 1988.
4) Chairperson, Transport Committee, Biennial Conference Society of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of Pakistan, 1990. Read 21 years Statistics of Perinatal Mortality in Baqai Hospital.
5) Poster Exhibition on Hirsutisism 1988, Karachi.
6) A Case of Double Headed Monster, paper presented at National Gynaecologists and Obstetricians Seminar, 1979.
7) Annual Symposium of Society of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of Pakistan.
8 ) Annual Symposium of Pakistan Medical Association.
9) Annual Symposium of Society of Surgeons of Pakistan “Surgeon Hazekent Yakin Memorial Lecture” delivered by Mr. James Hadfield, President, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh,1985.
10) Annual Symposium of Society of Physicians “Surgeon Hameed Memorial Lecture” delivered by Mr. James Hadfield, President, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1989.
11) Annual Symposium of Society of Physicians of Pakistan “Khawaja Moin Memorial Lecture”
12) Symposium of Society of Pathologists of Pakistan, State of the Art Lecture on Hepatitis by Dr. Sheila Sherlock, 1985, Karachi.
13) Symposium on “Elemeatology” Organized by Hamdard Foundation, Karachi.
14) Read paper on IUD (multiload 250) on symposium organized by an NGO 1986, Karachi.
15) Co-Chairperson of Symposium on Haematenic in Obstetric and Gynaecology, 1991, Karachi. Awards:
· Professor Dr. (Mrs.) Zahida Baqai is an outstanding Doctor, a Medical Educationist and Philanthropist.
· She graduated in 1958 from Dacca Medical College and then, she passed DRCOG, MRCOG and FRCOG from London. She worked for a few years as Consultant Gynaecologist to Pakistan Navy Hospital Al-Shifa at Karachi and organized a most modern department. She alongwith her husband Professor Dr. F. U. Baqai started their own hospital in Karachi, which slowly and slowly became the largest Specialist Hospital in Private Sector in Karachi.
· She is the Co-founder of Baqai Medical College, Baqai Dental College, Baqai College of Nursing, Baqai College of Veterinary Sciences, Baqai Cadet College and BAQAI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY with the constituent institutions. These institutions have developed good reputation in Pakistan and abroad; and students from all over the country and from the neighbouring countries are flocking for admission in the Baqai Medical University. She is an excellent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and an outstanding teacher to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
· Her singular contribution has been to establish the I.V.F. CENTRE (TEST-TUBE BABY CENTRE) at Baqai Medical University, where for the first time a comprehensive program for the treatment of infertility is provided.
· Her interest in Medical Research has resulted in a number of contributions to periodicals and she has published THREE BOOKS in her field of specialization. She has a unique program of Social Obstetrics and Gynaecology in the Gadap Area, a program which is dedicated for the mother and child welfare in the poor communities of the villages around the Baqai Medical University Complex.
· Her latest project is establishment of a Mega City “Shahr-e-Baqa”, A City of Health & Education, over an area of >2000 acres. This is a unique project amongst the public and private Universities in Pakistan.